Friday, November 24, 2006

What a mighty good whale


This is not a food blog but last night I prepared whale for the first time. Japan and Iceland are the only countries as far as I know, where you are allowed to eat whale.
The meet is bloody, red and contains hardly any fat. The price for 100 gram is around 5 euro. It’s not expensive but definitely worth a try. Before preparing, I asked Margit, about a recipe and she was kind enough to suggest a couple. Combining the recepies I got, this is how I prepared the whale.

Take the file and put some salt and pepper+paprika. Fry it with extra virgin oil on a LOW heat for 1 min per side. Pour red whine and cut some mini onions and garlic and keep the whale in the whine. I this is the basic principle if you want to make low fat beef without making it too dry (and if you don’t have time to put it in a marinade).

The result; it tasted like a shoe sole. But actually, I liked it. You don’t have to come to Japan to try whale, it taste like a badly made beef.

How do you prepare meat with no fat at all? The only thing I can think of is to have whale raw.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only way to make meat were the fat is not in the meat itself (like geese, the bird is fat, the meat is not, just like whale) is to fry it in the oven at the temperature you want in the centre of the meat. Sure it take ages, but at least the meat does not get dry, and you should never be in a hurry when making meat.

Cheers!
/Erik

6:46 a.m.  
Blogger Diana Chavlah said...

Erik,
thank you for the advice, I guess I'll try it raw instead, the meat is too nice to fry in a pan. And the advice about the oven is really good, just the fact that the owen we have here are smaller than half a microwave and you never know the temeperature

12:39 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch, and you cannot "borrow" a steak thermometer from the lab? ;)
But eating it raw, is that really a hit, if som will you make "råbiff" out of it?

Cheers!

2:39 p.m.  
Blogger Diana Chavlah said...

Erik,
actually, it's not uncommon to eat whale raw in japan.you can buy it with raw fish and eat it as sashimi. to eat it as "råbiff" is maybe a good idea, but to borrow the thermometer and the owen from the lab? hmm, I woldn't even feed my mice after using those tools :))

12:28 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home