Thursday, December 21, 2006

From Shibuya in Tokyo

Ok good fox, friends and enemies. I made to Tokyo this morning with the night bus. As I posted from the previous trip that was made by the night train, we got nice kimonos and blue flipflops. Belive it or not, I got a kimono and nice flipflops on the bus as well. And the seats was foled so deeply that they became like a bed.

I was in Osaka yesterday, unfortunately only from 7 in the morning until 23. There were so many things that I didnt manage to visit. At least, I was at the "human right museum". BAD museum, sooo PC that I was about to vomit. First of all, it was located far away from the center, takes time with the subway. Second of all, I was the only one there + the 5 staff who were stalking me. The third of all, it was not really about human rights, it was about... ...... wait I had it...it was about...I have no clue. They had a section about womans right in Japan. Since the economist ranked Japan among the worse countries when it comes to this issue, you can imagine how terrible the exhibition was. They had unproportionally much about Korean and their discrimination by the Japanese. But nothing really about democracy, about peoples right to wote. Their eqipmet consisted of 5 huge flatscreen tvs and a bunch of small tv monitors...

Anyway, Osaka is like a mini Tokyo. They also have a huge fish aquarium, that I recommend. And a universal studio that I didn't manage to visit since I got lost in the nice Korean square and went shopping for chrismast gifts (and I found two hagen danz bars (spelling)).

I have always woundered how starbucks managed to become this huge but now, after visiting a couple of the major cities in Japan, I know why.

Starbucks is ALWAYS located at the bottom floor of a huge mall or central station. When people walk around, they get tired and feel like sitting down and have a coffe. So the first available thing is Starbucks. THey managed to become big just because of the location. Japanese pepole dont like strong coffee normally. Another thing that I noticed is that if you find a McDonalds and a Mac store, you will definetely find a Starbucks. That was the case in Fukuoka, in Osaka and in Tokyo (not at shinjuku though, they had a mac store and a McDonalds but the starbucks was 200 meter away maybe).

Ginza and Hibiya dori are really nice to visit, mostly because of the fact that you can get an update on how its going for your stocks and hear the news while youre waiting for the traffic light. Ginza is also clean and really snobbish, they even have carpets on the side walk at some places.
The not snobby part of ginza is the fish market, a gods gift to people who loves fish. I had sushi and Fugu there. so if I wont write in a while, its becuse the fugu killed me.

Shibiya is interesting in many ways. There is a scene in "Lost in Translation" when Charlotte walks and has a huge tv screen with a gifaff walking on a building. I saw that building and its located at shibiya, but they changed the motive.

Anwyay, after this break I will go to Odaiba area, an area near the water, have a nice drink, read my book and have dinner. All the relaxing sight seeing and shopping is making me exhausted!

1 Comments:

Blogger Biomed Tim said...

Wow. I haven't checked your blog in a while and what do you know, you're now walking around where I used to live!

Hope you're enjoying your vacation!

11:36 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home