Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Free riders


Desire must be human’s best friend and worse enemy at the same time. First of all, with desire, you feel pain, the unbelievable attraction to get something or maybe someone. That makes you suppress other things. But at the same time, it makes you work so it’s efficient. Imagine a life without desire, a life where you can get whatever you want or whoever you want.
I have this unbelievable desire right now to get this paper published so I can put the name on it. As I previously posted, the only way to get the name on the paper here is to be in Japan when it is being published.

So here is the strategy from now on; I finish the final version of the first paper in order to get it published, go on vacation, drink sake, spend time at Starbuck’s, read books and maybe write some kind of report and cook dinner for my friends for the rest of my time here. Since I wont’ get my name on the other paper anyway, I might as well take a long vacation and enjoy Japan from a tourist point of view. I got the scholarship for this trip anyway.

Sorry to say it people, but if it wont’ be visible in your CV that you’ve struggled then don’t do it. It’s just stupid to work hard for nothing. Work hard for something, that’s fine.

Just let the turtle illustrate what I’m trying to say. Now let’s guess which turtle is the smartest one…Simple behavioural test from animal models, applicable on human beings.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

After too many volunteering experiences and exploitative jobs, I have come to the same conclusion: compensation is very important. I applaud you for taking the vacation and I hope you have a good time. The lab you are working for is willing to screw you, so better to screw them first.

4:26 a.m.  
Blogger Sowa said...

Why do women usually come on top? Cause we are meant to be there. You are smart, enjoy your time while you are here. See as much as you can, and enjoy each moment.
Having said that I hope we can hang out tonight.
Luves
D

11:17 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home